Monday, September 3, 2012

Long and Lean Workout Tips

I have heard too often, "I like running, and I feel in shape, but my legs are getting bulky!" Or, "I feel like lifting weights to tone my arms, but I don't want to bulk up." Or, finally, "How are dancers so long and muscular but LEAN?" 

Here is a two easy rules to stay long and lean (more of these later!):

1. If you have ever been a dancer, or know a dancer, you are aware that dancers use their BODIES as their workout tools.  They use their own body weight to strengthen their core, arms, and legs.  If you are not a weight lifter, or nervous about weight lifting results, use your body. It is your best tool. I'm not saying you have to go all Kourtney Kardashian naked yoga, or participate in rich people $100/hr Pilates classes...the following will be a great start.

Examples:
Side crunches for those love handles!
Side pushups for that underarm flab!
Booty lifts for that pooch around your belly button!
Leg lifts for those thighs!
Squats for a dimple-y booty!
(COMMENT if you want to see how-to's or more in depth descriptions about these workouts).

2.  STRETCH. Stretch, stretch, stretch. One of the biggest ways people bulk up is because they don't stretch, or don't stretch long enough.  Stretching is an integral part of your workout.  You should stretch before and after your workout in order to create a long and lean body. Hey. I get it. You've just attempted to run a billion miles and now you feel dead and all you want to do is lay on the carpet and watch TV.  It is a whole different workout to even gather the strength to take as shower. But...don't. First of all, you end up with sweat carpet and who knows what kind of bacteria is on your carpet? You disgust me. Second of all, you're only cheating yourself. Boom. I said it. If you focus on stretching, you will create long limbs. Do lunges, ankle stretches, arms stretches, back stretches, abs stretches. FINALLY, shake it out. Roll your head, ankles, shoulders, and hips. Do arm circles. This should be how you end your workout.  Distribute that energy. Trust me.

Comment if you want more long and lean tips, or have tips of your own to share!

Good luck!

-Annie

I found this picture from healthycrush.com...she looks pretty into it!




No comments:

Post a Comment