Monday, September 3, 2012

The Too-Long-Somewhat-Obligatory- "My Story" Post

So, when I started this blog I wanted to make it personal.  I want you guys to know where I started.  I covered a little bit of that in my first post, but I'll talk about it more, here. Pardon the super serious Annie, I'm usually a little more sarcastic. Bear with me through this post. 

Ever since I was little, I've always been overweight compared to my height.  I am 5'1, which is obviously short for my age.  I stopped growing around age sixteen.  When I was younger, no one could ever tell that I was overweight, because I looked pretty small (given my height). I was very active throughout grade school. I ran cross-country, played soccer, and was on the dance team.  (Sidenote: Doesn't every little kid play soccer? Isn't it, like, mandatory when you're five, just to play soccer? Sorry. Back to the story.)

I really started to notice myself gaining weight between my 16th birthday and my 18th birthday. I was active in musicals, singing, and dancing, but my other physical activity stopped. I also was more mobile. I had my own car, and I found myself going to get coffee and scones or food after school with my friends. 

{That is another HUGE point: Do NOT eat fast food.  It's not worth it.  The portion sizes are CRAZY big.  If the fat content isn't bad, the sodium levels are.  If you get low-sugar options, you can bet there is some other chemical sweetener in there.  Remember: Just because it's zero calories, doesn't mean it's healthy. Just because it's on a "Under 200 Cal" menu, doesn't make it okay to eat.  This is why if you are serious about losing weight, you should NOT be eating fast food.  This includes Subway, Panera, etc.  If anything, look at the bread content.  Even if you order a lean turkey and spinach sandwich with a little vinegar...look at the amount of bread you're eating.}

Okay. Back to the story. I was insecure and constantly untagging myself in Facebook pictures.  I was constantly jealous of my skinny friends, and I didn't know where to begin.  I felt like whenever I worked out, my body wasn't showing results. It was extremely frustrated.  A lot of people will tell you that you can eat whatever you want if you work out.  This is not the case. The foods you eat have a huge impact. Take high-fiber foods, for example.  If you eat high-fiber foods, it will aid the digestion process, and help you lose weight.  Better than running five miles on the treadmill (which I still am unable to do--hey cut me some slack!) and eating a Big Mac.

{Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog.}

Anyways, finally I decided I needed to do something.  I knew I could never eat rice cakes every day, or work out five miles. I didn't have the money or means to do a diet program. I asked my gorgeous and pictorial-worthy friends what their secrets were. I was surprised at how easy it was to emulate them, and after a few weeks of really trying, I saw results. Once you see results, you want more! 

Comment if you want me to post a before and after picture! I'd be happy to do that if it will be inspirational to my readers.  As always, thanks for reading. I believe in you.

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment