Friday, August 31, 2012

Dinner and Drinks Gone Healthy

This post is inspired by my model friend Spencer. I know, even the name sounds cool. She was the one who swears by a colorful plate. She also has a colorful personality. I'd like to describe my personality as colorful one day, but I mostly try too hard. This is my life. I'm not kidding. Anyways, here's what's for dinner! Let me know how it goes! 

Dinner:

The key for dinner is vegetables and color.  More color usually betters your chances of the plate containing healthy food. Think about dull colored foods...a lot of them are usually unhealthy: dark brown meats, bread, potato chips, ranch, butter, etc. Now think of colorful foods: Carrots, red and green peppers, spinach, kale, avocado, etc. Fill yourself up on vegetables. Put the carbs on hold for a week. Trust me. Try it.

A seasoned, grilled chicken breast on a bed of oven roasted vegetables.

This meal requires you to pick a part to season. Too often people season and salt every part of their dish, when really only one element needs seasoning. The spices will linger in your mouth, and you will be satisfied with the flavor. 

I like to season the chicken. I season it with cracked black pepper, a little salt, and a tiny pinch of garlic powder if you want to be easy (a little minced garlic if you have time). There are, of course, other spices you can use depending on if you want the chicken to be more fragrant (try thyme or rosemary) or savory (garlic, onion, etc.) I then lay out my favorite vegetables on a cookie sheet and drizzle them with a little bit of olive oil. I put them in the oven for a tiny bit, and check on them when I see the tops of the veggies beginning to get a little brown. I then place the seasoned chicken breast on TOP of the veggies on my plate, and it really tastes like a delicious stir-fry. Trust me. 

The Ultimate Drink:

Important, and I cannot stress it enough: Water with lemon. The acidity of the lemon helps break down your food and aids in the digestion process. And, of course, nothing keeps you going more than water. You need water. You need to stay hydrated. Often times, if you don't drink water, you find yourself eating or drinking high caloric things to "satisfy" your thirst (i.e., slushies, pop, ice cream). Did I mention that lemons help purify your liver, contain potassium for healthier teeth, and can often relieve symptoms of asthma? Boom. Roasted with the truth.

-Annie



No comments:

Post a Comment