Friday, August 31, 2012

The Easiest, Yummiest, Healthiest Breakfast!

After years of feeling insignificant in pictures, at weddings, and during parties (given that all my friends look like models and I am rather plain in comparison-well, I feel much better about my inner and outer beauty now, though!), I have asked them about their go-to meals. The next couple blogs will be about that. Again, after trying my model-friend tricks and tips that I am sharing on this blog, I have lost weight and feel better than ever. Every day I'm still trying! This is an ongoing effort for me, too.  
Obviously, you would not eat these three meals every day. These are just one of the many suggestions I will share with you! 
Anyways, they swear by these upcoming meals and snacks, and now, I do too! Enjoy! 

Breakfast:

Easy Breakfast Fruit Smoothie (Five steps, Four ingredients!)

You will need the following:

1. A blender. I am pretty lazy in the morning and always in a hurry. Not to mention, I do NOT like to wash large blenders or machinery, which is why I recommend a Magic Bullet or One Cup Smoothie Blender. That way, you can just blend and take it to go. Example: 

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/blenders-single-serve-blenders.html

2. A bag of frozen mixed berries (I recommend strawberries and raspberries. You want frozen fruit in order to make your smoothie cold...who wants a warm smoothie?)

3. Half of a frozen banana 

4. And then either of the following:
A. A tiny bit of coconut water and a quarter cup (or to taste) of apple juice
OR
B. A cup of milk

5. Finally, if you want to get fancy:
One spoonful of (whey or any protein powder) VANILLA or VANILLA CREAM flavored. The flavor is important, because, honestly, some protein powder flavors taste disgusting. This one is actually pretty yummy. This will make the smoothie a little creamier.

How you do it: 
1. Chop up the frozen banana into chunks (this is important, it blends better and easier and spreads flavor throughout) and put it in the blender. 
2. Be generous with your frozen berries (not a half a bag or anything, don't get too wild) and toss them in the blender. 
3. Add your coconut water and apple juice OR your cup of milk. 
4. Finally, if you want the extra protein, toss in your whey vanilla powder. 
5. Blend. 

It's that simple. And delicious. Keep in mind that this is just how I make my personal smoothie...once you try it, you will be able to adjust the measurements to what tastes good for you.

-Annie


2 comments:

  1. What is the importance of the coconut water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good question!! Coconut Water has no fat. It also has very low sugars, and barely ANY carbs. It does have a TON of potassium, more than sports drinks. It detoxifies your body, as well, and boosts your metabolism because it is an isotonic beverage. Actually, cool fact, in some 3rd world countries, they use coconut IVs to save lives and prevent diabetes. If you're wondering about the negative effects of coconut water, there are very few. If you are planning on running 5 miles or exercising a TON, regular water is always the best hydration. In addition, if you are planning on having a day full of exercise, you are going to need carbs, and coconut water, like I said, has barely any carbs compared to sports energy drinks (which can be a good thing, most of the time). Finally, the taste of plain coconut water (without added sugars or sodium) is not the best taste. Which is why, in the smoothie recipe, I recommend just a little, or in moderation...because one time, I was super excited about the coconut water and put in like, a cup, and I thought it tasted gross. If you want to do that, make sure you add the vanilla whey protein powder. :-) I hope that helped!

      Delete